music

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

1864 Blog- Private Kist


Dear Sweet Angels of the World,
         We were stationed in the corner of Georgia when Sherman's march began. The tales of destruction sound endless. The Union army are getting closer to their goal everyday. We can't let them get there. These tales of horror and destruction seem to be getting scarier everyday. There have been a few soldiers who have come our way and told of what they had witnessed. Tales and stories of how towns burned to the ground within hours, buildings and homes turned over for any thing they could find, and anything valuable destroyed. The moment we heard of this we knew that any attempt to stop them wouldn't make it very long, their path to Savannah is wide open. The Union have taken Atlanta and now they are about to take Savannah this has turned into a disaster. I know I'm supposed to think positive about the war and say that we are going to win and all but i think there is no point in that any more. I mean I will still keep fighting though but I don't think we are going to win this war. In fact I know we aren't going to win this war. We are just too out manned, gunned, and supplies. The only thing that the Union and us have in common is the fact that we all are tired and want this war to be over with. We all have had our loses and our wins but this has gone on for to long. Either way this goes I know that everyone knows who is going to win and it won't be to long before Richmond is captured. We all have the day off today, it is noon. Everyone is taking it easy and waiting for more news on the march. I guess we are just going to have to wait this one out. I think I am going to take a nap now.
                                                  See you later,
                                                               Sweet Angels of the World

No comments:

Post a Comment

1865 blog by private matthews

Well I did not have to dessert after all. Last month General Lee surrendered at appomattax court house, and finally i can go home, away from...